Sunday 4 March 2018

#

Top 5 Tips for Switching to a Cruelty-Free Lifestyle

If you follow me on Instagram, you would be aware that I decided to make the change to cruelty-free beauty last year. This was inspired by a few blogger friends, my personal views on the ethics of animal testing and a need to de-clutter my life and focus on the important things. I've been a vegetarian for that past two or so years and it just felt like the right move.

I don't believe that animal testing is a necessity, there are plenty of brands that don't test on animals and manage to thrive. You would think this is a black and white issue, either companies do or do not test on animals, right? Wrong! A lot of brands claim they they "do not conduct animal testing on our products or ingredients, nor ask others to test on our behalf, except when required by law". This basically means that although the brand or company doesn't test on animals themselves, if they sell their product in a country where animal testing is required by law *cough* China *cough*, the products will be tested on animals. It's also confusing because while no animal testing takes place in Australia for cosmetics, it's technically not illegal. 

It also gets complicated because a lot of brands have come up with their own "certified cruelty free" logos to put onto their products. Companies can also be certified cruelty-free, but not be willing to pay the extra fee to display the official logos. Check out this post by Cruelty-Free Kitty to see the logos, their affiliated organisations and their lists of certified cruelty free brands.

There are so many ins-and-out to the cruelty-free world. Personally, I wish it was more transparent. I've quite often found myself standing in a shop, sifting through pages and pages of info online, trying to find out if a brand is cruelty free or not. It can seem intimidating to switch to a cruelty-free lifestyle, so here are some top tips.

1. Do your research

There are a tonne of cruelty-free beauty and lifestyle bloggers who make it their mission to share the CF way. A quick Google search will bring up a plethora of people who have made lists, e-mailed brands and generally made it easier for anyone who wants to go cruelty-free. If you aren't sure and can't find any information, e-mail the brand directly. You do have to be careful with wording, as I said above, it's not always clear. Thankfully, some smart cookies have also come up with templates on what to ask.'

2. Make some CF friends

I'm lucky in that a few of my bloggers friends also use exclusively cruelty-free products too. We swap stories and recommendations and it makes things easy. If you don't have any close friends who use CF brands, find some! There are hundreds of Facebook groups and forums discussing the best and worst of cruelty-free.

3. Don't feel like you have to go cold turkey

I started by separating my beauty stash into two piles: cruelty-free and non cruelty-free. I then went through the non CF pile and picked out items that I wanted to keep and use up or find CF alternatives for. Instead of throwing the rest out, I posted some of the new things online for sale, I donated some to charities, I used some for fundraising events, I gave some away to family and friends. I also gave myself a good few months to use up the things I couldn't part with right away so I didn't feel pressured. I also didn't want to throw things away because I try and be as eco-friendly as I can.

4. Try new brands

Places like Mecca Maxima and even Priceline will give out samples of foundations for you to test out. Make use of this! Try out new brands and see what you like and what works for you. Buy some sample sizes and see if you like them enough to buy the full size. Find local brands and give them a go.

5. DIY

There are a lot of beauty items you can make on your own. Everything from lip balm to moisturiser to dry shampoo is easy to make, and works just as well as store bought in most cases. Again, there are lots of resources online for making your own products with lots of tips on how to make them last. It's also really fun and DIY beauty products make excellent gifts.

I hope you enjoyed the first post in my cruelty-free series, stay tuned for more and feel free to contact me with requests.

Dani XO

3 comments:

  1. These tips are great. I think it might be time for me to make the switch. I just wish L’OrĂ©al and Maybelline was cruelty free. I’m still so disappointed by Nars. Another good tip is the ask the store assistants about cruelty free brands in Mecca and Sephora. With so many people making the change, they are usually very informed about which brands are cruelty free.

    Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back Dani!! Some great tips to start someone on their way to becoming CF!! Can't wait to see more posts!! PS baby noodle is soooo cute!!

    Mel xx || Loads of Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soo happy to read this Dani! I found it hard when we first all switched to cruelty-free but now it’s easy breezy. I initially wanted to go cold turkey but now I’m in the mindset that I’ll sell/giveaway what I can part with at the moment and use up what’s left. I do miss some brands like Nars but what can you do.

    Maddie | www.maddiesbeautyspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Follow Us @soratemplates