Sunday 18 January 2015

Hair Removal 101

TMI Alert! This post involves a lot of info on bodily hair so squeamish people should look away now.

I am one of those people who, due to a mixture of genetics and bad luck, has been blessed/cursed with an ungodly amount of hair. True that I have gallons of shiny hair on my head and luscious, thick eyebrows but I also have feet that could rival any Hobbit’s and legs that require pretty much daily shaving. Over the years, I have tried a plethora of hair removal techniques and I feel that it’s time I embraced my hairiness and shared my knowledge with you so here’s what I use in my ever raging battle against my large amount of bodily hair.


Schick Quattro for Women Disposable Razors $7.99 for 3 pack
Best for a quick, no fuss hair removal, these Schick disposables are the best razors that I’ve found after a very VERY long search. You get a nice close shave and the little conditioning bars leave your skin feeling nice and hydrated. I often find that disposable razors leave terrible shaving rash or razor burn or leave your skin feeling tight and dry but these are definitely the best of the bunch and I can’t see myself wanting to ever buy any other razors. I do go through them quite quickly as I shave pretty much daily!

Veet In-Shower Hair Removal Cream Sensitive $10.99 for 150g

Back in the day when hair removal creams first came out, not only did you run the risk of serious chemical burns but the stink let everyone in your whole neighbourhood know you were de-hairing yourself. These days, the cream has an almost pleasant, if slightly pungent smell and a much lower risk of death by chemical burns. This particular one is really easy to use, you just pop it in with the sponge, wait between 2 and 10 minutes and then jump in the shower and gently rub off. Given that I have quite thick, coarse hair, I tend to wait longer. For some reason, this isn’t always effective for me. Sometimes it works really well and sometimes I’m left with patches and I still can’t figure out why! But usually, I’m pretty happy with the results and they last about 2-3 days for me.


Nair Spa Clay Mini Wax Strips $4.89 for 20 strips

These are absolutely perfect for eyebrows (if you happen to wax yours, I don’t personally) or slightly less glamorous, lady moustaches (which I do happen to wax). Luckily my lady mo is fine and I’m probably the only one who can really see it, it’s definitely not Ron Swanson-esque (yet). You are meant to warm these up by rubbing them between your hands but I suffer from Raynauds meaning my hands are ALWAYS cold so I do a quick blast from my hair dryer which I find much more effective. They work really effectively, especially on fine little facial hairs and leave very little residue behind. Definite winners for me!


Veet Natural Inspirations Argan Oil Warm Wax $15.49 for 360g plus 10 strips

This is a recent discovery for me and it impressed me from the beginning. It’s a sugar wax enriched with Argan oil so it’s not as harsh on the skin as regular wax but it still does a really great job. It’s really easy to use, you just heat it up in the microwave and apply with the handy wooden spatula that’s included. The spatula even has a heat-activated tab to let you know that the wax is too hot so you don’t burn any, ahem….intimate areas! This is perfect for bikini lines, legs and underarms and works on fairly short hairs (around 5mm) and it’s dissolvable in warm water so any mess is really easy to clean up.


Phillips Satin Perfect Epilator $129.95

Time to bring out the big guns, the epilator! First of all, I find epilating to be more painful than waxing, even waxing lady areas is less painful than just epilating my legs BUT it’s quicker and easier and the results last about the same amount of time…which for me is roughly a week but still, better than nothing! If you can stand the pain, you get lovely smooth legs/armpits/bikini lines and it’s a pretty convenient little gadget all up.


I hope my foray in the jungle (hehe) that is hair removal has helped a few of you out. I’m not saying that it’s not ok to be hairy because I AM hairy, I just prefer to be as hair free as I can be because I feel more comfortable that way. Have you tried any of these?


Dani xo

3 comments:

  1. I kind of want an epilator but at the same time it frightens me.
    www.daisyperson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't be afraid! They look and sound scary and although they are painful to use, the results are pretty great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hehe the painful part is what frightens me the most :)

    ReplyDelete

Follow Us @soratemplates