Sunday 24 August 2014

Ace Yo' Base - Round 2

I realised that it’s been an absolute AGE since the last instalment of Ace Yo’ Base. I’ve been using some pretty amazing base products recently and they definitely deserve a little shout out. I found that my summer time foundations weren’t quite up to dealing with my freaky winter skin so I went on a mission to round up and try out a few newbies, as well as some old favourites in this edition of Ace Yo’ Base.
 
Left to right: Rimmel Wake Me Up, MAC Pro Longwear, L'Oreal Nude Magique Eau de Teint and NYX HD Photogenic Concealer 

1. Rimmel Wake Me Up Foundation in #103 True Ivory ($19.95 for 30ml) – Oh, Rimmel, can you do no wrong? My winter skin was not looking good, I could have been an extra in a zombie movie and they wouldn’t even have had to use any makeup on me! My usual foundations just weren’t cutting it and I was after something to brighten up my dull skin. Wake Me Up is the perfect winter foundation as it has an Anti-Fatigue AND Radiant Glow effect. For an oily skinned girl like me, this would usually spell disaster BUT it’s perfect for my winter skin which dries out and needs a little extra glow. This has the same floral scent as Match Perfect but has a thicker consistency. I would also say that the coverage is a bit heavier, again, perfect for blemish-prone winter skin. I’m very glad I found this little beauty!

 


2. MAC Pro Longwear Foundation in NC25 ($54.00 for 30ml) – This foundation probably should have ended up with me a long time ago BUT the first time I visited MAC, I mistakenly ended up with a foundation that was NOT suited to my oily skin. Long story short, the ladies at MAC were more than happy to exchange it for this Pro Longwear Version. It’s a lightweight, blendable formula that gives medium coverage and a flawless matte finish. This foundation’s real power is how long it lasts…all day! I’m not kidding, forget foundations that leave by lunchtime, this baby will stay on all day long. Despite the price tag this is a definite winner from MAC.



3. L’Oreal Nude Magique Eau de Teint in #150 Nude Beige ($24.95 for 20ml) – This foundation puts me in mind of a 1920’s vanity table. Rather than the usual plastic drugstore packaging, L’Oreal have gone with a heavier, glass-like rectangular container that feels just a little bit posh! To use, you shake well to mix, remove the screw on cap and apply a drop to your finger. It’s a little different but the formula is super silky and very lightweight. I like to use this as an everyday base as it feels like you’re not wearing any makeup at all. The coverage is very light though so if you’re after a heavier coverage, this probably isn’t for you. It is also a bit messy, given how runny it is and that it has a screw on cap BUT I’m willing to forgive the messiness because of how beautiful it feels on the skin.



4. NYX HD Photogenic Concealer in Light (from $10.95) – I am a sufferer of under-eye bags and I’m always on the hunt for a concealer to help me look a little less…dead. This HD Concealer is really creamy and blends out nicely. This shade really helps brighten the under-eye area and really helps disguise the days when you’ve had less than a good night’s sleep. The only downsides are that does tend to settle into fine lines if your skin isn’t well hydrated, so make sure you pop on an eye cream before use. 

 

 Let me know what your base acing products are and I’ll hunt them down and test them out. Stay tuned for Round 3 of Ace Yo’ Base in the coming months!

Stay beautiful! 

Dani xx

2 comments:

  1. I always use the Revlon Colorstay for oily skin, since I'm a bucket of grease. I've been meaning to try L'Oreal's Nude foundation, but every time I walk past it I forget. I've got to start writing lists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard good thins about Colourstay but I don't personally own it. I might have to give it a try though :)

      Delete

Follow Us @soratemplates